Pastoral Note - 5 January 2024

Hi Church Family,

This coming Sunday, combined at 9am, is our Covenant Renewal Service at Table View Methodist Church.  I distinctly remember my first Methodist Covenant Service.  I was a teenager and I was very conscious of being true to my self.  I don't think I was able to fully say the words of the covenant with all my heart.

Since that first time I attended a Covenant service - probably about 30 or so years ago (maybe more) the words have meant something different - or something more to me - every year.

I realise that every year - or every day - when I say "I am no longer my own but yours" it means something more to me, or something different.  What I am deeply aware of is that I keep on grabbing back what I let go of - failing to trust God to do the 'heavy lifting' in my life.

When I do surrender - when I have the faith to let go of my own control - I know things go better.  So I learn again another day.

How do we prepare ourselves for this surrender to God?  I'm still a bit stumped when it comes to my sermon for this Sunday.  But I think the key is in one of our readings for the Covenant Service:

Mark 14:22-25 - 22 While they were eating, he took a loaf of bread, and after blessing it he broke it, gave it to them, and said, “Take; this is my body.” 23 Then he took a cup, and after giving thanks he gave it to them, and all of them drank from it. 24 He said to them, “This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many."

As Jesus heads toward calvary he exemplifies what he is about to do by serving his disciples.  They are capable of breaking their own bread and washing their own feet (if we read John's account of the meal) but Jesus insists on doing the work.  He breaks the bread and feeds his disciples, he takes the cup and shares it with them.  Helping them to realise that he is the one who gives, he is the one who feeds, he is the one who serves.

Perhaps this prayer from Thomas Merton will be helpful:
 
My Lord God,
I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
nor do I really know myself,
and the fact that I think I am following your will
does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you
does in fact please you.
And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.
I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.

And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road,

though I may know nothing about it.
Therefore will I trust you always though
I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.

I will not fear, for you are ever with me,
and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.  Amen.
So, take a moment before church this coming Sunday to consider what it means to surrender to Jesus completely.  And come on Sunday prepared for a deeply meaningful service of worship and communion.

I look forward to journeying with you as we learn to surrender ourselves to Jesus again in 2024.

God bless,

Rev Gus
 

The Methodist Covenant Prayer

Facebook
Website
YouTube
Podcast
Email
Listen to Podcast

www.tvmethodist.co.za

Please visit our website: www.tvmethodist.co.za

On our website you will find links to upcoming events. 

You can also sign in to update your details, register your household / family members on our database and upload a profile photo. 

Most of the profile photos we have are automatically taken from social media associated with your email address and might be a bit outdated.

The sign in process might be a bit confusing.  When you sign in the website will ask you for a one-time pin.  This pin will be emailed to you and you can simply click on the link in the email to sign in :)

Comments